Seniors can now apply for the Property Tax Rebate, which helps low-income seniors with their municipal residential property taxes. The program offers eligible seniors a rebate of half of their property taxes, up to $800.
To qualify for the rebate, you need to meet all of the following criteria:
- your 2022 municipal residential property taxes are paid in full (your name is on the property title)
- you lived at the property as your primary residence in 2022
- you receive or are eligible to receive the Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS) or the Allowance from Service Canada
If you’re not already receiving the Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS) or the Allowance, you can check with Service Canada to see if you’re eligible for them.
How to apply
- Complete both sides of the rebate application.
- Check the application for details on all required supporting documents.
- Send your completed application and supporting documents (including tax information) by mail or fax. Or visit Access Nova Scotia.
Applications are open from July 1 to December 31, 2023. Applicants who received the rebate last year will receive an application by mail.