The Heating Assistance Rebate Program helps low-income Nova Scotians with the cost of home heating.
To qualify for the rebate, you need to pay for your own home (residential) heat and meet one of the following criteria:
- have a net income of $29,000 or less and live alone with no kids or dependents
- have a combined net income of $44,000 or less and live with kids, dependents or other adults
- receive Income Assistance from the Department of Community Services
- receive the Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS) or the Allowance from Service Canada
If your personal or financial situation has changed since last year, you still may qualify. Examples of changes include becoming widowed, getting divorced or legally separated, losing your job, turning 18, recently arriving in Canada, or having the custody of your children change. Contact the Department of Service Nova Scotia and Internal Services to find out if you qualify.
Applications are open until March 31, 2023.
How to apply:
- Apply online for the rebate.
- Check the application for details on all required supporting documents.
- Submit your completed application and any supporting documents.
- Check your application status online (if you apply online).
- If your income tax refund is direct deposited, your heating assistance rebate is too. If not, your rebate is mailed to you.
How long does it take?
It should take 8 weeks to get your rebate. It can take longer if more information is needed or if your application hasn’t been filled in correctly. If more information is required to process your rebate, we may contact you by email.
There is no cost to apply for the rebate. Before you start make sure you have:
- all adults on the application available to sign the form
- social insurance numbers and dates of birth of all adults in your home
- You may need to provide additional supporting documents including:
- 2021 Canada Revenue Agency Notice of Assessment for you and any other adults in your home
- proof of change in marital status
- Canada Child Benefit Form
- citizenship application
- GST/HST payment information form
The Heating Assistance Rebate Program may contact you and ask you to provide a heating bill or receipt for oil, electricity, natural gas, wood, wood pellets, coal or other heating source.
Apply online here
When you apply online you need an email address. The Heating Assistance Rebate Program emails you if it needs more information to process your rebate. The program also emails you to let you know when your rebate is about to be direct deposited.